Monday, January 21, 2013

Oh, Love....

I have been incredibly blessed AGAIN with some amazing people for whom I am caregiving.
It began like this:
I was in the cafeteria at the rehab facility helping my former client and swami eat her meal. Across from me sat an elderly man in a wheelchair. We caught each others eyes and gazed at each other for what seemed like a long time...something i wouldn't ordinarily do with a strange man. At the conclusion of the gazing we both smiled whole being smiles to one another and i extended my hand to introduce myself. Both his wife and daughter were there and we got into a conversation which ended with them taking my name and phone number for future caregiving.
A couple weeks later, just as my job was ending with the swami due to her placement in a facility, the caregiver for this man called and asked if i could sub for her. The timing could not have been any better and I was thrilled to go be with this man and his sweet, sweet wife. So, for the last 2 1/2 weeks i have been going over to get M up and dressed in the a.m. and then going over at night to put him to bed. Oh my goodness, I have really fallen in love with the both of them.
And I am incredibly moved by their relationship. They have been married 68 years and there is still SO, SO much kindness and love between them. I watch in awe and reverence how they treat one another and am often moved to tears. It's so beauty-full.

1 comment:

Gina Kelly said...

That is so sweet! 68 years - wow! I love hearing about the people you meet in your caregiving roles. I wish we heard more about these kinds of positive, loving relationships in the media. Thanks as always for sharing your beautiful stories. XO