Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Hermie

A lifetime ago when I was working with an environmental education program, we used to sing a rowdy song around the campfire at night devoted to the banana slug. We even had a banana slug club where kids could become a member if they kissed one (yup, true story!) All that time I had an appreciation for them but never really LoVED them. But within the last few months something shifted and I feel a genuine tenderness and affection towards them. I was noticing their absence in the drought and wondered often about their well being. We had  heavy rains over the weekend and I immediately noticed the slugs pop back into view. I wasn't sure where they'd gone during the dry spell but was really happy and relieved to see their little green bodies again. Then today I'd gone inside a building whose doors had been open a couple hours and noticed a slug all shortened into itself on the floor. I immediately and carefully picked it up and set it outside in a more suitable area. At first, I thought it had already perished but I decided to wait awhile and see if it moved. Finally, I saw one antennae and then the other very slowly start to extend out and my heart was so happy. I watched for another minute or so just because its sweetness captured my attention and then finally walked away sincerely grateful to have crossed its path.

No comments: