Sunday, April 8, 2012

Amazing Animal Day

Yesterday morning I heard a coyote yipping and yipping and yipping. So , I went outside to check things out. I found the coyote in my binoculars and just watched. It was an entertaining sight as she was marching around the pasture, throwing her head up and yipping away for a good long time. And then suddenly I saw the cows running after the coyote! All the girls plus their adolescent children were driving the coyote off...of what I 'm not sure because they have no newborns at this time. But, the girls would all run in one direction and then the coyote would switch sides and as if doing synchronized cow dancing they would all turn direction again and head for the coyote. I guess the coyote ultimately gave up...that is until this eve when I saw the same dynamic only this time there appeared to be two coyotes. I didn't have my binocs on me so I couldn't see details. This dance didn't last as long though it could have been going on for some time without me noticing. Those coyote critters sure are beautiful. Speaking of, on my way home late yesterday afternoon driving through quasi rural areas, I saw a bobcat. I did the proverbial double take and assessed the traffic situation in a heartbeat then veered over on the shoulder and flew out of the car, binoculars in hand! I only got to look at her for maybe a minute or so but my oh my, what a gorgeous creature.
I feel so grateful to live where I do...that I get to see so many "wild" animals in a day. In addition to the coyote and bobcat sighted yesterday, I also got to see white pelicans, egrits, wild turkeys, deer, lots of hawks and a loon. Made my happiness factor shoot straight up!

1 comment:

Gina Kelly said...

I hope we see a bobcat and/or coyote when I'm out!!