Saturday, April 21, 2012

Death and Dying

I just completed a two day workshop with an organization called Final Passages out of Sebastopol, CA.
We addressed many different aspects of our death and dying...like home funerals, green burials, taking care of the body after death, etc. It was incredibly interesting and really opened up worlds of possibility about how we can be in charge of our own end of life care...and how beauty-full and creative it can all be. It makes me look forward to something that before had felt so scary and unfamiliar. And that's part of the point...to reclaim this process...and how doing so speaks to wholeness...and how it changes the grieving process...and so much more. One of my favorite activities was decorating a cardboard casket. We all quietly and with great focus spent about half an hour making art on this casket while remembering a loved one of our own that had passed. I could go on and on...
I sure hope no one I know and love dies any time soon but if they do I am going to have a completely different experience of that journey. One I actually look forward to instead of fear and dread.
Check them out at: www.finalpassages.org

No comments: