Friday, January 3, 2014

Oh, The Parents

Not being a parent...I can't say for sure...but many parents seem challenged to TRULY see  who and what their children are as opposed to what they hope or want them to be. So many parents deal with this issue in one way or the other. And us kids....well, I do believe that no matter what we say or try and get ourselves to believe about what we really want...i think we need our parents to get us. We need their Blessing as i heard a preacher say recently. It can end up being quite a dance. I've certainly participated in that with my own folks.
Over the years my dad and I have really worked at our relationship. It's taken him a real long time to loosen his expectations or ideas of what my life should look like. He still doesn't all the way "get it" but he is more spacious than ever. So, during our New Year's Day phone call, I was surprised and deeply touched when he wished me an art-full new year. He gave me his Blessing. I honestly didn't know I needed it...but I did. What a true and beauty-full gift.

No comments: