Monday, August 29, 2011

Death and Laughter

During the course of my Hospice training we covered some pretty weighty material...stuff most of us don't consider in our day to day lives. And our homework - well, it wasn't like ANY other homework I have EVER had to do. For instance, we had to write our own obituary, write a letter to a close person that had already passed, plan our own funeral/memorial, etc. Fortunately, the two women facilitating the training both had a wicked good sense of humor. For me, it was a welcome balance to diving so deep. One of our assignments was to write about what we wanted done with our body once we died. Normally not a funny topic! So, I was explaining that i wanted my loved ones to care for my body at home for as long as possible after my death...you know, the details of all that. and at the end i was expressing my wonderment as to what i would want to wear to the occasion...
when that homework was returned to me the comment from the facilitator made me laugh out loud. In response to my fashion quandry she replied: "when in doubt, layer!!!"

No comments: