Sunday, August 21, 2011

A Happy Ending

Today was spent with a small group of Morgan's other close peeps sorting through her photos...hundreds of them. I rather enjoyed being with her in that way. She felt very, very close in. At one point we were counting the number of peeps in the room and each time I counted there were 5 peeps (when in this reality there were only 4) It took me several tries before I got it "right"...but I swear, she was present and accounted for!

One of the things I was reminded of so vividly today was Morgan's great love of and connection with animals. Some of her animal photos...well, they just melted me with their beauty...it is one of the things I continue to miss most about our relationship...that kind of Bone Deep Passion that we shared...we had it about animals, kids, nature and art. She made me feel like I had a kindred on this planet. Tho the acute pain of her loss has dissipated, the missing remains strong...and daily.

During the course of our Relationship/friendship I can't even count the number of times we stopped to help an animal...it is from those experiences together that I began keeping a leash and a bag of dog treats in my car! So, it was purr-fectly fitting that as I was driving home from our gathering today that I would see a stray dog in the road! A little fella with leash in tow trotting down a very busy road. I had to stop. And what was a real joy about the experience is that others stopped as well. That alone just made my heart so happy. One vehicle that stopped was a father and his 8 or 9 year old son. I made it a point to let the boy know what a good thing he was doing...I watched him take the compliment inside. It was a sweet moment. Then we see a person way up the road waving his arms and we follow. It turns out the little poochlet had marched himself right back to his driveway and a neighbor who happened to be driving by recognized him and put him safely away. Hurray for that happy ending!!!

Tomorrow is Morgan's birthday...

1 comment:

Gina Kelly said...

I "rescued" a stray dog a couple of weeks ago while taking a walk in my neighborhood. He was a big guy - thought he was a deer at first! It took a long time to coax him to me - he kept running away when I went toward him. Finally I squatted down and just kept talking in that doggy voice "you're such a good boy! Come here good boy!", and victory of all victories, he came to me! I held onto him (he didn't have a collar) as some others gathered and we tried to decide what to do. Then after a bit a car pulled up, a grateful man jumped out with a collar and leash and explained that the dog had found a way to escape his back yard. Having helped in that situation felt so great - it was the highlight of my day. All this to say. . . I can relate to what you've written, and the joy you and Morgan experienced from helping animals. XO