Friday, August 5, 2011

Namaste, my ass!!!

This morning i decided to go to a new yoga class in Occidental. You know, break out of my normal routine. When the second pose was a downward dog, i knew i was in trouble! In the yoga class I'm used to going to we warm up to a downward dog if we even get there at all. Anyways, we bust out a few more poses at what feels like lighteneing speed. No time to sink in or be with the pose. I am already sweating and trying to figure out how i can inconspicuously exit stage left! the thing is a big, sturdy gal with an equally big attitude was between me and the door. i just couldn't imagine it happening without me making an embarassing scene so i resigned myself to the idea of staying put for the next hour and a half. SHIT. Would i ever walk again?
Oh, and did i mention that the yoga "music" of the day was Phish?! the teacher claims that kind of music isn't normal for her class and she actually asked everyone ahead of time if it was ok. i wasn't familiar with Phish so didn't know any better! kind of like giving someone a massage to....ummm...light rock and roll that's a hair too loud! but i was in too much pain to mention that said music was shattering my nerves!!
so, it was the combo of that, the yoga "outfits" and the general aura of a faux namaste attitude that made me want to screeeeeeeeeeeam.
You can imagine how relieved i was to then go and sit with my hospice client. She's an elderly woman who has lived in the country her entire life...uncomplicated, direct, humble...can't breathe so well and can't walk so well. and yet her realness lent itself to more connectedness than a million namastes.

P.S.
i accidently whacked the big girl with my yoga mat on the way out of class!!!
Namaste, sister :)

1 comment:

Gina Kelly said...

I LOVE this post, and especially the title, it made me literally laugh out loud! I'm so glad you had something real to attend to after this "yoga" class. I've been to those kinds of classes too, it's more like yoga aerobics, not grounding at all! I hope you're able to find a better class.XOXO