Friday, May 3, 2013

Dear...

As I continue the process of letting go of this place that I've lived for the last 19 years, I am beginning to write thank you letters to all the individuals who had such a big impact on my heart and soul; the magnificent oak tree that lives only 15 or so feet outside my front door - a presence and guiding force unmatched by any neighbor i've ever had~~~the enormous rock that has been not only a place for grounding, stillness, watercolor painting, reading, crying, sunset watching, but also the host for birthday parties, conversations with friends and lovers and astronomy nights among other things~~~then there is the creek - I have a vivid memory of my dog friend, Daisy, standing oh so happily elbow deep in one of its cold pools looking for fish!, the burma shave hikes set up along its banks, the dappled light, the turkey tails growing on fallen, dead wood or the fawn I unexpectedly found dying while walking nearby~~~the foxes who I got to watch for months as they made their trek every evening at dusk back to their pups~~~the bobcat, who for years has made itself visible and always takes my breath away~~~the coyotes-so many coyote memories - one of the strongest is the morning i woke up to find a single, gorgeous coyote fast asleep not more than 20 feet outside my house - although I worried about my cats and thought maybe I oughta shoo it away, I just couldn't~~~oh, the bluebirds who have nested here for I don't know how many years whose babies I've watched grow up season after season and leave the nest.
So, so many amazing and wonder-full gifts as a result of these relations...I have been very lucky, indeed.

No comments: