Sunday, May 12, 2013

Heart Wide Open

Back in January of this year I spent two weeks helping put "M" to bed at night and then bathing, dressing and getting him ready for his day in the a.m. I totally fell in love with both he and his wife. I believe I wrote at least one post on my blog about them if not more. Though I've thought about them both many, many times over the months, I hadn't seen them since the end of January or so. Tonight I went over to put "M" to bed again. The millisecond I saw him, I could feel my heart light up...looked like his did, too. I asked him how he'd been and he said: "lousy" with a twinkle in his eye. Of course, that got me tickled right off the bat! Many more funny things happened in the process of getting ready for bed. But the best was when I was trying to help him get from a standing position (there's a vertical metal pole he holds himself up with next to his bed) to safely sitting on the bed. It's not very far at all but he's a big ol lugnut of a fella and weighs probably 70lbs more than me, at least. So, I grabbed his waist belt and tried to guide his butt as far onto the bed as I could. I was leaning and pulling so hard towards the bed trying to make sure he didn't fall that when his weight finally settled onto the bed (barely) I fell onto it next to him. We both cracked up.
Then my favorite part of that whole routine is tucking him in bed. He always makes eye contact as we say good night to one another with his blue eyes sparkling. I put my hand on his heart, meet his eyes and without effort sink into the depth of my love for him. It melts me every time.

No comments: