Thursday, June 13, 2013

Otherwise, I'm Good

I got a call from a fellow in need of some care-taking. In our couple of phone conversations he had a hard time getting enough air and talking sounded effortful. I had to decline the job as I am in the middle of moving and don't have the time or energy to give him just now. I suggested he call back at the end of the month if he still needed support. In town today I happened to see his land mate and inquired how he was doing. The woman told me he was actually in her car waiting for her at the hardware store. I decided I wanted to meet him in person and he me so I went over and introduced myself. We chatted a bit and then he told me what he is actually dealing with. He said: "I am starving." I must have had a quizzical look on my face (or he's use to having to explain) but he told me he has esophageal cancer and has a pretty hard time swallowing and named the couple foods he could actually swallow. Then he said: "other than that, I'm good." I started laughing and then he started laughing...such a unique moment to share with another human.

No comments: