Sunday, March 16, 2014

Bubble Landia

I'm pretty sure I've written about the changes I've witnessed over the last 23 years living where I do. In case not...the closest sizable town to where I live is called Sebastopol. I used to think of it as a mid sized small town, charming in the way that small towns can be. However, like many places all over the world, it got "found" and has become a trendy, quasi up-scale collection of urbanish feeling younger peeps with "alternative" everythings!!! I don't much care for it and anymore kinda feel like a stranger there. So, the other day I was in the drugstore and saw an elderly guy looking at reading glasses. Instantly, without conscious thought, my body softened and my heart gladdened. I watched him for awhile as he figured out what he wanted and then slowly ambled off to find the next thing on his list. The experience stood out to me because anymore it is unusual to see elderly, less "well" people around town...and how being amidst that particular population helps me to feel at home wherever I live.

1 comment:

Charlotte said...

All of a sudden at 50 I feel old, if buying reading glasses at the drug store qualifies one as elderly and less well...