Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Snail mail

Last week I received a hand written letter in the mail! These days that is a welcomed gift and one of my favorite things. I had written an e-mail to a friend and instead of e-mailing me back, he "put pen to paper" as he said. So, this weekend I wrote him back and when I did I was reminded of how much I love to write letters. Not only do I really enjoy the actual activity of writing...the tactile experience of pen to paper, the slow, deliberate activity of my brain but I also enjoy imagining my friend sitting down, likely outside with a cup of tea, and reading his letter. I enjoy the thought because he, too, is a slow moving critter and it will suit him to spend the time reading a hand written letter and reflecting. I am looking forward to writing another letter this weekend to a different friend, another someone I know who will love sitting down with a cup of tea to read a hand written letter.

My dad and I used to write each other letters. It was during a time in our relationship when, without saying so, we were trying to better understand one another. I treasure those letters now and know they will bring me great comfort once he has passed.

No comments: